For Experienced IT Service Desk Staffing
The IT Service Desk is the initial contact point for all IT incidents, requests, tasks and problems. Therefore, an organization needs to have talented IT service desk staffing in place. At Tier2Tek, we specialize in IT service desk staffing to meet your specific needs.
Users in an organization first call or submit a self-service ticket through the organization’s ticketing system. Then the Service Desk agent responds by gathering detailed information from the user and documenting it into a new ticket. The Service Desk Agent initially attempts to resolve the issue. If the issue is resolved, the Agent documents detailed notes on the ticket and updates the company’s knowledge base (KB).
If the issue is not resolved, the ticket is routed to the appropriate queue that reaches the corresponding team to address the issue.
The Service Desk is considered Tier 1 Help Desk (Service Desk in ITIL Methodology) in the IT infrastructure. Ideally, Tier 1 should resolve 75% of all incoming calls. The remaining 25% of issues are transferred to Tier 2 or Tier 3.
Service Desk Stage 1: Collecting Data From User
- Triage initial ticket.
With the first stage, this in the method in which the ticket enters the queue. Support phone call, self serve ticket via web portal, etc.
- Answering call/responding to self-serve ticket.
- Responding to the user as soon as possible. Instant response.
- Documenting actual issue.
- Afterwards, note the user’s description in the ticket.
- Identify priority level.
- Next, the technician will need to set the priority level based on SLA and IT policy.
- Categorize the issue.
- A Request: A request such as needing a hardware or software.
- An Incident: A break in service or an interruption in normal operations.
- A Problem: An incident with multiple users impacted.
Service Desk Stage 2: Search for a Resolution
- Search knowledge base for resolution.
- First, check if the knowledge base already has a solution to the issue.
- The technician should know how to search the knowledge base.
- Determine if the solution is appropriate for the issue.
- Afterwards, implement the solution and document the resolution.
- Alternatively, if there is no solution in the knowledge base, try to resolve the issue.
- Best effort at diagnosing the issue.
- The troubleshooting begins if resolution is not already in the KB (knowledge base).
- Initially, the technician utilizes process of elimination.
- Then, ask the user questions about the issue to gather more details.
- Questions such as when the issue started. What changed? etc.
- Based on the information gathered, search for a resolution.
- Afterwards, record the steps sequentially.
- Most importantly, a supervisor should periodically listen in to ensure quality.
- While listening to the call, determine if there is a faster route to resolving the issue.
- Consequently, provide training on best-in-class troubleshooting practices.
Service Desk Stage 3: Resolve and Close or Transfer the Ticket.
- Document troubleshooting steps and resolution.
- Add resolution to the KB (knowledge base).
- Ask user if there is anything else the user needs assistance with?
- Ask permission to close the ticket.
- Resolve issue and close.
- Or transfer to the appropriate queue.
- At this stage, troubleshooting steps are documented in the ticket.
- All possible troubleshooting steps should have been exhausted and documented.
- Document valid reason why the ticket is being transferred to the next queue.
- Inform the user of the current state of the ticket.
- If the user calls back asking for an update, do not put liability on the next queue.
- Contact the queue and request an update and inform the user that IT is working on the issue. ETA should not be provided unless provided by management.
Tier2Tek provides transparent staffing with transparent pricing. With our model, you will be fully aware of what you pay for. In addition, we utilize an innovative sourcing and recruiting process that most other staffing agencies have not developed. As a result, we find exceptional talent from multiple settings. Tier2Tek works with Fortune 500 firms across the nation to ensure that their IT departments have the most qualified staff in place. We provide temporary, outsourced or direct-hire solutions.