Stages of IT Service Desk

(720) 722-2385

@Need To Hire | @Need A Job

Outsourced, Direct-Hire, Temp-To-Hire, Seasonal & Temporary Staffing

Tier2Tek IT Staffing
1640 Logan St Denver, CO 80203
720.722.2385

Open Monday through Friday, 8am to 5pm.

For Experienced IT Service Desk Staffing

The IT Service Desk is the initial contact point for all IT incidents, requests, tasks and problems. Therefore, it is essential for an organization to have talented IT service desk staffing in place. Tier2Tek is an IT staffing agency that specializes in the IT service desk staffing to meet the specific needs. Users in an organization first calls or submits a self-service ticket through the organization’s ticketing system. The Service Desk agent responds by gathering detailed information from the user and documents it into a new ticket. Based on the type of issue, the ticket will be categorized either as an incident, request, task, or a problem. The Service Desk Agent initially attempts to resolve the issue. If the issue is resolved, detailed notes are documented in the ticket and updated in the company’s knowledge base (KB). If the issue is not resolved, the ticket is routed to the appropriate queue that might have the required resources to resolve the issue. The Service Desk is considered Tier 1 Help Desk (Service Desk in ITIL Methodology) in the IT infrastructure. In an ideal infrastructure, Tier 1 should resolve 75% of all incoming calls. The remaining 25% of issues are transferred to Tier 2 or Tier 3.

 

Service Desk Stage 1: Collecting Data from User

  1. Triage initial ticket.
    With the first stage, this in the method in which the ticket enters the queue. Support phone call, self serve ticket via web portal, etc.
  2. Answering call/responding self-serve ticket.
    •  Responding to the user as soon as possible. Instant response.
  3. Documenting actual issue.
    • Afterwards, note the user’s description in the ticket.
  4. Identify priority level.
    • Next, the technician will need to set the priority level based on SLA and IT policy.
  5. Categorize the issue.
    • Request: A request such as needing a hardware, SW?
    • An Incident: A break in service, an interruption in normal operations.
    • A Problem: An incident with multiple users impacted.   

Service Desk Stage 2: Search for a Resolution

  1. Search knowledge base for resolution.
    • First, check if the knowledge base already has a solution to the issue.
    • The technician should know how to search the knowledge base.
    • Determine if the solution is appropriate for the issue.
    • Afterwards, implement the solution and document the resolution.
    • Alternatively, if there is no solution in the knowledge base, try to resolve the issue.
  2. Best effort at diagnosing the issue.
    • The troubleshooting begins if resolve is not in the KB (knowledge base).
    • Initially, the technician utilizes process of elimination.
    • Then, ask the user questions about the issue to gather more details.
    • Questions such as when the issue started? What changed? etc.
    • Based on the information gathered, search for a resolve.
    • Afterwards, recorded the steps sequentially.
      1. Most importantly, a Supervisor should periodically listen in to ensure quality.
      2. While listening to the call, determine if there is a faster route to resolving the issue.
      3. Consequently, Provide training on best-in-class troubleshooting practices.  

Service Desk Stage 3: Resolve and Close or Transfer the Ticket.

  1. Document troubleshooting steps and resolve.
  2. Add resolution to the KB (knowledge base).
  3. Ask user if there is anything else the user needs assistance with?
    1. Ask permission to close the ticket.
  4. Resolve issue and close.
  5. Or transfer to the appropriate queue.
    • At this stage, troubleshooting steps are documented in the ticket.
    • All possible troubleshooting steps should have been exhausted and documented.
    • Document valid reason why the ticket is being transferred to the next queue.
    • Inform the user of the current state of the ticket.
      1. If user calls back asking for an update, never put liability on the next queue.
      2. Contact the queue and request an update and inform the user that IT is working on the issue. ETA should not be provided unless provided by management.

Tier2Tek provides Transparent Staffing with transparent pricing. With our model, you will be fully aware of what you pay for. In addition, we utilize an innovative sourcing and recruiting process that most other staffing agencies have not developed. As a result, we find exceptional talent from multiple settings. In conclusion, Tier2Tek works with Fortune 500 firms across the nation ensuring their IT departments have the most qualified staff in place. We provide temporary, outsourced or direct hire solutions.